Pregnancy in the rudimentary horn is rare and carries grave consequences for the mother. Here, we report a case of 26-year G3P2 with 17 weeks gestation who presented with lower abdominal pain. Ultrasound showed hemoperitoneum with suspicion of abdominal ectopic pregnancy. Intraoperatively the diagnosis of ruptured left rudimentary horn pregnancy was made. The fetus and placenta were removed followed by excision of the horn with ipsilateral salpingectomy done.
Keywords: Ruptured rudimentary horn pregnancy, Unicornuate uterus, uterine anomalies
Ruptured rudimentary horn pregnancy, Unicornuate uterus, uterine anomalies
2. G. G. Nahum, “Rudimentary uterine horn pregnancy the 20thcentury worldwide experience of 588 cases,” The Journal of Reproductive Medicine, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 151–163, 2002.
3. Ambusaidi Q, Jha C. Pregnancy in the rudimentary uterine horn: Case report of an unusual presentation. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2014;14(1):e134-e138.
4. Venugopal G, Patil S, Manoli NS, Pratap T, Hemapriya, Madhuri N. Ruptured rudimentary horn pregnancy: a case report. Int J Reprod Contracept Obstet Gynecol 2020;9:1271-3.
5. Marten K, Vosshenrich R, Funke M, Obenauer S, Baum F, Grabbe E. MRI in the evaluation of mullerian duct anomalies. Clinical imaging. 2003; 27(5):346–50. PMID: 12932688
6. Troiano RN, McCarthy SM. Mullerian duct anomalies: imaging and clinical issues. Radiology. 2004; 233 (1):19–34. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2331020777 PMID: 15317956
7. Khati NJ, Frazier AA, Brindle KA. The unicornuate uterus and its variants: clinical presentation, imaging findings, and associated complications. Journal of ultrasound in medicine: official journal of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. 2012; 31(2):319–31.
8. Bahadori F, Borna S, Behroozlak T, Hoseini S, Ayatollahi H. Failed induction in second trimester due to pregnancy in an uncommunicated rudimentary horn: case report. J Family Reprod Health. 2009; 3(3): 95-97.
9. Li X, Peng P, Liu X, Chen W, Liu J, Yang J, et al. (2019) The pregnancy outcomes of patients with rudimentary uterine horn: A 30-year experience. PLoS ONE 14(1): e0210788. doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0210788
10. Jayasinghe Y, Rane A, Stalewski H, Grover S. The Presentation and Early Diagnosis of the Rudimentary Uterine Horn. Obstet Gynecol. 2005;105(6):1456-67.
11. B. P. Lawhon, J. R.Wax, and R. T. Dufort, “Rudimentary uterine horn pregnancy diagnosed with magnetic resonance imaging,” Obstetrics and Gynecology:1998; 91: 869
12. Awol Y, Hale T, Abida H, et al. Pregnancy in the rudimentary uterine horn: a case report. Ethiopian Journal of Reproductive Health; 2018; 10; 4: 62-66
13. Melese G. Pregnancy in Noncommunicating Rudimentary Horn of Unicornuate Uterus: A Case Report and Review of the Literature, Hindawi Case Reports in Obstetrics and Gynecology Volume 2019; https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/1489751
14. H. K. Sevtap, A. M. Aral, and B. Sertac. An early diagnosis and successful local medical treatment of a rudimentary uterine horn pregnancy: a case report. Arch GynecolObst. 2007; 275(4):297–298
15. Heinonen P. Unicornuate uterus and rudimentary horn. Fertil Steril 1997;68: 224e30.
16. Arslan T. Rudimentary uterine horn pregnancy: a mystery diagnosis. Fertil Steril 2009;92:2037.e1e3.
17. Lemi B, Tadesse G, Abel T, Matias A. Ruptured rudimentary horn pregnancy of unicornuate uterus at hiwot fana specialized hospital, harar, Ethiopia: a case report. Ethiopian Journal of Reproductive Health; 2019; 11;2:56-60